Hull City 1-2 Huddersfield Town: Terriers triumphant against terrible Tigers


Hull City’s pursuit of a SkyBet Championship play-off place is effectively over after they succumbed to a disappointing 2-1 home defeat to Huddersfield Town on Tuesday night.

The Tigers started the game on the front foot as they looked to gain an early advantage, but they could only create a number of half chances. These included a Mallik Wilks header which went off target and a Kamil Grosicki free kick which was hit straight at the Huddersfield wall.

However, it was Huddersfield who took the lead in the 24th minute courtesy of Karlan Grant’s 13th goal of the season as his strike deflected into the back of the net. City attempted to get themselves an equaliser for the rest of the first half but it wasn’t forthcoming.

The Tigers had George Long to thank in the early stages of the second half as he pulled off a good save to deny Elias Kachunga from doubling Huddersfield’s lead.

City then made a double change as Tom Eaves and Jackson Irvine came on to replace Robbie McKenzie and Mallik Wilks. This paid dividends as the Tigers equalised in the 66th minute when Terriers defender Richard Stearman put the ball in his own net after a goalmouth scramble in the Huddersfield penalty box, despite the goal being originally credited to City defender Ryan Tafazolli.

The momentum was now with the hosts as they immediately tried to get a second goal as first Tom Eaves and then Jackson Irvine were both denied by good saves from Terriers goalkeeper Kamil Grabara. The game was then stopped for a lengthy delay after Grabara was left in a heap on the pitch after a clash of heads with his own teammate Christopher Schindler.

There would be 14 minutes of stoppage time and George Long again was forced into producing a top save to deny Huddersfield a second goal. 

Moments later, however, the Terriers did get their winning goal as Steve Mounié got on the end of a cross into the box from Elias Kachunga and headed home to get his 4th goal of the campaign.

The Tigers are now eight points adrift of the play-off places after suffering a third successive league defeat, and they will need to regroup quickly as they have another home game on Saturday as 5th placed Brentford visit the KCOM Stadium.